[rrd-users] Way to merge files?

Ronald Stamper ronald at ccpgames.com
Tue Jan 23 17:10:49 MET 2007

I use RRDTOOLS to generate a graph that monitors several clusters here at CCP.
One of the issues, is that we would love to have RRDTOOLS generate graphs for our large cluster, but the cluster is comprised of 164 rrd database files.

We normally tell RRDTOOLS to generate a graph using a dos prompt, but the length of the command needed to get RRD to parse 164 files over flows its buffer.

Is there a way to merge files? I know that I can xport the SUM contents of as many files as it can parse, 20+ but the problem is how I can take that xported .xml data and put it back into a rrd file so it can graph from it. The restore command does not support xml data from a "xport" command.

So how would you get RRD to graph 164 files of results? The individual processor total does not need to be individualized, I simply need a total of all cpu's on the cluster, so a sum result of all time stamps across all files is enough to make the graph work.