[rrd-users] How to Force Generation of VRULE Regardless of Scale

Chris Neumann chris at asterdata.com
Fri Jan 26 22:34:44 CET 2007

I was finally able to figure it out (thanks for the responses, which gave me hints as to where to
look).  The documentation describes consolidation in the rrdtool / graph / data section as follows:

> If the resolution of the data is higher than the resolution of the graph, the data will be further
> consolidated. This may result in a graph that spans slightly more time than requested. Ideally
> each point in the graph should correspond with one CDP from an RRA. For instance, if your RRD has
> an RRA with a resolution of 1800 seconds per CDP, you should create an image with width 400 and
> time span 400*1800 seconds (use appropriate start and end times, such as --start end-8days8hours).

> If consolidation needs to be done, the CF of the RRA specified in the DEF itself will be used to
> reduce the data density. This behaviour can be changed using :reduce=<CF>. This optional parameter
> specifies the CF to use during the data reduction phase.

My problem was arising because of the fact that I was creating VRULEs based on a CDEF (rather than a
DEF).  Long story short, I have some CDEFs that determine whether or not to create a VRULE based on
the contents of the DEF.  Anytime consolidation was occurring, the DEF values were averaged too low
to trigger the CDEFs and, thus, the equation for generating a VRULE was not being triggered (RRD was
doing the right thing - the problem was with the averaging of the source data).  Changing the CF to
Max from Average fixed it right away.

Thanks again,

- - Chris