[rrd-users] Graphing the limits for valid records

Michael Häusler michael at akatose.de
Mon Jun 11 21:29:58 CEST 2007

Hi there,

I hope that you can help me with a small graphing problem:
is it possible to use the limits for valid records in a CDEF?

I have a rrd with a max limit for valid records:

# rrdtool info db.rrd
rrd_version = "0003"
step = 3600
last_update = 1181588494
ds[val].type = "GAUGE"
ds[val].minimal_heartbeat = 7200
ds[val].min = 0.0000000000e+00
ds[val].max = 2.0158000000e+04  # <-- I want this value as an operand
in a CDEF

I tried different things, but nothing seems to get the desired result.
E.g., I can get the maximum entry with
DEF:a=db.rrd:val:AVERAGE
VDEF:b=a,MAXIMUM

But, so far the only way to get the limit for valid entries semms to be
rrdtool info db.rrd | awk '{ if ($1=="ds[val].max") { print $3; }}'

Is it possible to directly access ds[val].max?

Best regards,
Michael