[rrd-users] Migrate RRD database to another (data lost)

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Tue Jun 19 16:51:35 CEST 2007

On Tue, Jun 19, 2007 at 02:03:18PM +0200, kormen wrote:

> I use RRD with Smokeping. In the smokeping list not respond my question.
>
> My problem is, when i upgrade my smokeping, the smokeping don't start.
> The rrd-s step settings is different. the first install i put the config
> 10 targets, with 300 step 10 ping. Several time later i put the config
> file another 10 server and modify the step/ping values to 60 step 10
> ping the smokeping accept this values and run.
>
> I upgrade the smokeping. and the error "start steps mismatch to
> configured start 300 configured 60" if i reconfigure the smokeping to
> 300 steps, another rrd-s drop me errors: "start steps mismatch to
> configured start 60 configured 300" So i lost 50% of my data.
>
> Possible any way to convert rrd-s? or migrate rrd-s? I need this data.

You can fetch all data from one of your databases, create a new
database which has the GAUGE datatype and a sufficiently large
heartbeat, import the fetched data (using rrdtool update) into
the new database and then alter the datasource type, heartbeat
settings and so on so that they are correct for smokeping.

You will loose some precision or fake some precision, depending
on which settings you prefer (either you update 5 rows at a time,
or you will update one row 5 times and data will be averaged).

This task is not really hard but it does require some knowledge
of how the tool works, and you will have to be careful when you
do the conversion.

HTH
--
Alex van den Bogaerdt