[rrd-users] Unable to get 2 different weeks in one graph

Thornton, Paul paul.thornton at eds.com
Tue Mar 20 06:24:55 CET 2007

Hi,

I have been capturing data for approximately 2 weeks now for JVM heap
usage and am trying to get last week's data in one line
and the weeks before on another line within the same graph. This is good
to be able to see what the difference is between the 2
weeks and perhaps from 1 month ago as compared to last week.

Version I am using: rrdtool-1.0.49

1.
I created the rrd database using the following command

/usr/local/rrdtool-1.0.49/bin/rrdtool create jvm_heap.rrd \
DS:SnapShotAvg:GAUGE:600:U:U \
DS:SnapShotMax:COUNTER:600:U:U \
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:600 \
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:6:700 \
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:24:775 \
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:288:797 \
RRA:MAX:0.5:1:600 \
RRA:MAX:0.5:6:700 \
RRA:MAX:0.5:24:775 \
RRA:MAX:0.5:288:797

2.
I then tried to create a graph with 2 different weeks in the same graph
using the following command

/usr/local/rrdtool-1.0.49/bin/rrdtool graph jvm_comp.png --step 3600
--width 600 --end now --start end-1w \
DEF:SnapShotAvg=$BASE/$RRF.rrd:SnapShotAvg:AVERAGE \
DEF:SnapShotAvg1=$BASE/$RRF.rrd:SnapShotAvg:AVERAGE:end=now-1w:start=end
-2w \
LINE1:SnapShotAvg#267C8A:\"This Week Average\"  \
LINE1:SnapShotAvg1#992222:\"Last Week Average\"

All that I ever get, regardless of the time period I use above (I.E.
Trying to compare today with yesterday on the same graph using -1d and
-2d)
is one line in the graph. When I change the current week to an AREA and
not a LINE, the second week simply runs along the top of the area
which to me looks like each output is showing exactly the same data as
each other (which is --end now --start end-1w).

Can anyone shed some light as to what may be happenning here and why the
second line is not showing up the data from the week before.
I have read something about SHIFT, but my version does not have this
option available to me and I am unable to upgrade due to server access.

Thank you,

P.T.