[rrd-users] trigger an alert?

Sven Ulland sveniu at opera.com
Thu May 3 00:50:00 CEST 2007

John Conner wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I know there is a "Aberrant Behavior Detection" function coming with the
> new version of rrdtool, but I can't get some more detailed documents on
> how to use it,  also from what I learned, what "Aberrant Behavior
> Detection" does is just highlighting the abnormal part of data on the
> graphic rrdtool generated on the fly, there still will be no alert, no
> log, no further action (such as calling an outside script) can be taken.
>
> Is this true?

It depends on your definition of logging and action.

> If it is not, how can I make rrdool (trigger an alert|call an outside
> script) when it see some abnormal data?

I use the aberrant behaviour detection in rrdtool and I find
it quite handy. To detect problems, i use the 'rrdtool updatev'
command, which will output FAILURE=1.0 (different syntax), if
it detects failures. FAILURE=0.0 if not. In other words, I parse
the output of the command, and trigger alerts based on it. You
should probably implement a wrapper around the parsing/alarming,
so that you won't get flooded with mails/SMS messages every five
minutes while a deviation is happening.

Sven