[rrd-users] trigger an alert?

Sven Ulland sveniu at opera.com
Wed May 9 17:29:47 CEST 2007

John Conner wrote:
> Hmmm, I installed a new rrdtool and enabled aberrant detection, but
> seems there is nothing new on the generated graphic, no upper/lower
> boundary, no tick mark.
>
> Does it means rrdtool needs to reach the limit of the 5 days "length"
> (RRA:HWPREDICT:1440: 0.1:0.0035:288 ) to begin to generate upper/lower
> boundary and alert?

Yes, you have to wait for one seasonal period before the HWPREDICT
value is visible, and two periods before the deviation bars are there.

This is a major hurdle when trying to tune the values, since it takes
days and even ways to try out new values every time. That is why you
probably want to make some scripts that can quickly regenerate graphs.
There's something called hw-reapply that can do this for you, but I
haven't tried it, and I don't know if it shows immediate results:
http://rrfw.sourceforge.net/rrdman/

What I do is to log all 'rrdtool update' commands to a file, so I
can easily run this file to repopulate the RRD files. Then I can tune
the HW values when creating the RRD, run the backlog, and see graphs
immediately.

Also, I'd rather use a 1 day (or 7 days) season. A five day season
could have problems with deviations in week-ends. Depends on your
traffic patterns, of course.

Sven