[rrd-users] trigger an alert?

John Conner bs7799 at gmail.com
Wed May 9 18:05:50 CEST 2007

Thanks for information, guys!

> Yes, you have to wait for one seasonal period before the HWPREDICT
> value is visible, and two periods before the deviation bars are there.

emmm, my current seasonal period is configured as 288, (RRA:HWPREDICT:1440:
0.1:0.0035:288 )
that means I will wait 2 days to get the upper|lower line, right?

I must have missed some important concepts here, could you point me where
can I find more explanation about "two periods before the deviation bars are
there"?

This is a major hurdle when trying to tune the values, since it takes
> days and even ways to try out new values every time. That is why you
> probably want to make some scripts that can quickly regenerate graphs.
> There's something called hw-reapply that can do this for you, but I
> haven't tried it, and I don't know if it shows immediate results:
> http://rrfw.sourceforge.net/rrdman/
>
> What I do is to log all 'rrdtool update' commands to a file, so I
> can easily run this file to repopulate the RRD files. Then I can tune
> the HW values when creating the RRD, run the backlog, and see graphs
> immediately.
>
> Also, I'd rather use a 1 day (or 7 days) season. A five day season
> could have problems with deviations in week-ends. Depends on your
> traffic patterns, of course.

Sure, mine is just a quick test, and when you say "season", you actually
mean "array length", right? ;)

Thanks again!

Joh

Sven