[rrd-users] rrdtool graph ( v1.2.24 ) hangs on AIX 5.3

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Tue Nov 20 01:02:14 CET 2007

On Mon, Nov 19, 2007 at 10:57:10PM +0100, Alex van den Bogaerdt wrote:

> I think I may have found the problem. If I'm right, it was introduced
> between versions 1.2.20 and 1.2.21
>
> I'll ask this on the developers list.

Indeed this was the problem. It occurs only if you have negative rates,
and if you do not set lower-limit low enough.

Tobi has produced a patch which does seem to work.

A possible workaround for those who suffer from the problem but
cannot yet upgrade:

Find the lowest value (using PRINT:x:MINIMUM:%6.2lf), multiply the
number by a suitable amount (say 1.01) and use it as --lower-limit
in the final rrdtool graph command.

Thus:

   min=$(rrdtool graph .... PRINT:... )
      (no AREA, LINE, GPRINT in this invocation)
and then
   rrdtool graph --lower-limit $min .... AREA:... GPRINT:...
      as usual

or just wait for 1.2.26 !

HTH
--