[rrd-users] Data Source Name - 19 character limitation

Clint Cronwright - Jacarta Clint.Cronwright at jacarta.co.uk
Tue Nov 20 18:06:19 CET 2007

Hello,

Perhaps someone can help me, I have been given some information and I do not
know everything about RRDTool or MIBs so I will start be asking some
questions.

What is a Data Source Name in relation to RRDTool?

How does this relate to a MIB?

Are the Element names in a MIB used as a Data Source Name, or are they the
same thing?

The reason I ask is that I support an SNMP device, this device has some very
long element names within the MIB, 30+ characters, and I am being told that
this can not be used with RRDTool as the Data Source Names can only be 19
characters long.

Can someone please help me to understand this problem?

Many thanks,

Clint Cronwright.

Jacarta Ltd.
T. +44 (0) 1672 514514

M. +44 (0) 7725 240999
F. +44 (0) 1672 511955
www.jacarta.co.uk <BLOCKED::http://www.jacarta.co.uk>

This email and any attachments is intended for the addressee only. It may
contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information and any
views or opinions presented are solely those of the author. If you are not
the addressee you have received this e-mail in error. Please notify the
sender by return e-mail and then destroy it. If you have received this
e-mail in error, copying, printing, forwarding or dissemination of this
e-mail is strictly prohibited. We virus scan all e-mails but are not
responsible for any damage caused by a virus or alteration by a third party
after it is sent.