[rrd-users] rrd graph - multiple graphs on one plot?

Rob Conway rjconway at bigpond.com
Wed Oct 3 23:32:16 CEST 2007

Yes you can have multiple scales...however rrdtool cannot provide the scale.    If you normalise the data so it all fits on a single y axis, i.e. normalise everything to 0-100 %, all you then need to do is superimpose a scale onto the rrdtrend.  DO NOT LET rrd  print the scale just the trend area.   it is quite easy once you create a small picture (png) having the scale.

Imagemagick enables you to combine two .png files together and is a command line editor/tool for data manipulation under linux or I think windows.  I run it under a SLUG and linux ubuntu.  Thus you could make a complex multiscale axis and you just use imagemagick to combine the rrd graph and scale.

The image below is just the rrdgraph combined with a scale to show alarm setpoint etc however theres nothing stopping you creating an alternative scale.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/rjconway/rob.png

This is the scale file, image magic updates this with actual data then overlays the completed scale onto the trend...and in firefox it shows its transparency
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/rjconway/tempscale.png

I use image magic to update the header on the web page below that shows real time data above the trend areas
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v319/rjconway/?action=view&current=newupdate.jpg

RRDTool and imagemagick and you have all the required tools to create a really nice html interface for you data

Imagemagic runs under linux and the NSLU2 slug ....

rob, Australia