[rrd-users] gauges

R Dicaire kritek at gmail.com
Sat Apr 5 21:47:12 CEST 2008

On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 4:16 PM, Simon Hobson <linux at thehobsons.co.uk> wrote:
>  >For GAUGE types, do I *need* RRAs of MIN MAX and AVERAGE? Would *just*
>  >LAST work best, and if not, why not?
>
>  What are YOUR requirements ? RRD does not impose any particular
>  schema, you are free to define whatever meets your requirements.

Ok, makes sense, I was working under the incorrect assumption that
certain things had to be a certain way, a la your mention of a schema.

>  >Since I want to report hourly, is there a need to have more than one
>  >update inserted into the rrd per hour, and if so, why?
>
>  No, not if all you want is one sample per hour.

Understood. And if I understand the purposes for MIN MAX and AVERAGE,
they can be used additionally in a GAUGE context. I can understand
their use in COUNTER types for net traffic etc.

>  So, if all you want is one sample, on the hour, then all you need is
>  one update per hour - and 'last' will probably do you (though with
>  one data point, min, max, average, and last are all the same). On the
>  other hand, if you want to be able to see what the data did in
>  between, then you might want more frequent updates and
>  min/max/average as required.

So in regard to reporting, the -s interval means?

--
aRDy Music and Rick Dicaire present:
http://www.ardynet.com