[rrd-users] rrdtool make problem

A Darren Dunham ddunham at taos.com
Fri Apr 11 20:14:00 CEST 2008

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 01:46:31PM -0400, Majczan, Chris wrote:
> Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Solaris 10, x86....
> rrdtool-1.0.33.

> Thoughts?

> checking for perl... (cached) /usr/bin/perl

You are using the solaris-provided perl rather than a locally-built
copy.

> checking for gcc... (cached) gcc

And you are compiling with 'gcc' rather than the sun compilers.

> cd perl-shared && make
>
> cc -c  -I../src -I../gd1.3  -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64
> -D_TS_ERRNO -xO3 -xspace -xildoff    -DVERSION=\"1.000331\"
> -DXS_VERSION=\"1.000331\" -KPIC
> "-I/usr/perl5/5.8.4/lib/i86pc-solaris-64int/CORE"  -DPERLPATCHLEVEL=8
> RRDs.c
>
> /usr/ucb/cc:  language optional software package not installed

Perl modules default to compiling with the same compiler and options
that were used to build perl itself.  So 'cc' and not 'gcc' in this
case.

One solution is to download and install the Sun compilers and let 'cc'
go to town.  Another is to use a locally-built (with gcc) copy of perl.

A final way is to use /usr/perl5/bin/perlgcc as your perl for the
purposes of compiling.  That convinces the perl module to write a
Makefile with 'gcc' as the compiler.

--
Darren Dunham                                           ddunham at taos.com