[rrd-users] Windows XP won't register rrdtool with perl

jim fixit fixingit2002 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 11 21:52:42 CEST 2008

Active Perl 5.10; mrtg 2.16.1  These are working. trying to integrate mrtg to
use rrdtool.  Downloaded what I thought should be windows versions of
rrdtool from rrdtool native windows site 1 (link from rrdtool home page).
That file, "rrdtool-1.2.27-2w2.zip" does not have a rrds.ppd anywhere in it.
So I chucked that and downloaded "rrdtool-1.2.15-win32-perl58.zip"  that's a
bit older than the active perl I'm running but at least it has all the files
intact.  But when I try to run ppm install rrds.ppd I get the following
error:

"ppm install failed:  The PPD doe snot provide code to install for this
platform".  I'm assuming somehow this zip distribution for windows has a
linux or unix version of the ppd?

I have spent days pouring over documents even to get this far.  Everything
references back to the "easy installation" instructions on the RRDTOOLS main
page.  I have read through and find "build" instructions  but not something
that says what windows users should do to actually install.  Among the
myriad of free info I did find a nice MRTG implementation manual that
finally explained step by step how to install RRD on windows...only to run
into this brick wall.

Any help to get past this point would be gratefully appreciated.