[rrd-users] timestamp on rrd files -reg

Tobias Oetiker tobi at oetiker.ch
Thu Aug 14 14:36:42 CEST 2008

Hi Andy,

Today Andy Riebs wrote:

> Hi Tobi & Shithal,
>
> > we could work around this by explicitly touching the file after an
> > update ...
>
> Other than for a sys admin's peace of mind, is there any particular
> value in keeping the timestamp up to date?
>
> My concern is that Linux has several commonly-used mount options
> (noatime, relatime) that would prevent `touch` from updating the stats,
> making any work-around even uglier...

I am not aware of any mount option which would prevent a files
last-modification time from being changed when the file is edited
... so this behaviour is definitly odd ...

I have not checked though if the inode change time does not get
modified either. If this is the case, then I would say it is a bug

just think of backup software, it normally relies on such
information to determine whether a file should get backuped or not

cheers
tobi