[rrd-users] rrdtool 1.3 and Umlaut characters

u7l11ey at mail.lrz-muenchen.de u7l11ey at mail.lrz-muenchen.de
Fri Aug 29 16:37:59 CEST 2008

Hi rrdtool community,

after upgrading the rrdtool version from 1.2.28 to 1.3.1 on my NSLU2
running Debian lenny, German Umlaut characters and some others are not
displayed correctly any more:

Before:
http://www.lrz-muenchen.de/~u7l11ey/webserver/webdata/solar/heiz_28.08.2008.png

After:
http://www.lrz-muenchen.de/~u7l11ey/webserver/webdata/solar/heiz_24.png

I understand this comes from the complete redesign of the graphing engine
using Cairo/Pango, but since I don't know anything about these components,
I don't know what and where I have to work on the configuration to get
this fixed.

My script that generates the graphs gives error messages like this:
Pango-WARNING **: Invalid UTF-8 string passed to pango_layout_set_text()

Please give me a hint on how to get the Umlaut and other special
characters displayed correctly again.

Additional question: Is there a way to make the new rrdtool produce JPEG
graphs instead of PNG? If not, is there a better way to convert PNG to
JPEG than using ImageMagick's "convert" tool?

Regards, Richard