[rrd-users] rrdtool 1.3 and Umlaut characters

Sebastian Harl sh at tokkee.org
Fri Aug 29 17:15:51 CEST 2008

Hi Richard,

On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 04:37:59PM +0200, u7l11ey at mail.lrz-muenchen.de wrote:
> after upgrading the rrdtool version from 1.2.28 to 1.3.1 on my NSLU2
> running Debian lenny, German Umlaut characters and some others are not
> displayed correctly any more:
[...]
> My script that generates the graphs gives error messages like this:
> Pango-WARNING **: Invalid UTF-8 string passed to pango_layout_set_text()

This is most probably caused by inconsistent locale settings and
(script) encodings. You have to make sure that either one of the
following is true:

 - the encoding of the script which executes rrdtool has to match your
   locale settings

and / or

 - use some UTF-8 encoding for you script

See the Debian bug reports #493553 [1] and #494547 [2] for some more
details on that topic.

The problem is that I can't think of any other way how to handle that in
rrdtool. If the script encoding does not match the locale settings (and
the script does not use any UTF-8 encoding) then there is no way (that I
know of) how to guess the encoding of the string passed to rrdtool. All
other cases should work fine though.

Also, if you run rrdtool from the command line, the encoding of the
string (which is passed as a command line option) should match your
locale settings since the encoding is determined by the terminal based
on the locale settings. So that should work fine in any case.

Cheers,
Sebastian

[1] http://bugs.debian.org/493553
[2] http://bugs.debian.org/494547