[rrd-users] migration of cacti

William R. Lorenz wrl at express.org
Tue Dec 16 02:10:15 CET 2008

Hi Satish,

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008, Satish Patel wrote:

> I have a two server and is old and second one is new. and old one is
> stop now but data still there but thing is that if user want a graph
> from old server then he has to login into old server and fetch data so
> this is very hard for 500 user cacti... now i want to pull all RRD from
> old and want to integrate with new one ...but i think rrd we can't
> migrate or integrate in existing rrd so i though i will create one graph
> tree for old data and user will get access that data on new server is
> this possible ? i need you input on this

If I understand correctly, you have a bunch of older RRD files in one
place and a bunch of new RRD files in another place, and you'd like to get
all the RRD data into the new place so you don't need the old RRD files.
Is this a correct understanding of what it is you'd like to accomplish?

First things first, before you try anything, I would encourage you to make
a backup of your data so that you don't accidentally delete any RRD data.

That said, you may consider writing a Perl or shell script that uses the
rrdtool fetch and export commands to retrieve data from your old RRD
files, and then just simply use similar rrdtool commands to insert them
into the new RRDs.  Doing so should be rather straight-forward.  You will
want to make sure you set your start time in the new RRD files to be
inclusive of the old data (or just store the new data in the old files).

Without knowing of an easier method, this is how I would approach it.  It
should be rather straight-forward to write an RRD export/import script.

Hope this helps,

--
William R. Lorenz