[rrd-users] Collect on one machine, graph on another

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Sun Jan 13 12:49:58 CET 2008

At the moment I have one machine that both collects network traffic
data and serves up graphs. We're about to get a network upgrade and I
want to take the opportunity to split the functions - the graphing is
"useful", the traffic routing is "essential". I've had a couple of
problems in the past with the graphing consuming all the VM available
and almost killing the machine, and I have plans for even more
complex graphs !

Applying the KISS principal, I was thinking of storing the rrds on
the gateway, exporting the directory via NFS, and mounting it on the
web server.

1) Are there any issues with doing this ? Any locking issues between
updates and reads ?

2) Any better suggestions ?

The main rrd has 512 ds's, with cfs for max and average over 5m, 30m,
2h, and 12h. Updates are every minute. There are also a number of
smaller rrds updated at the same time.

Both boxes will be running Debian and rrdtool 1.2.15.