[rrd-users] values being averaged.

Richard.W.Brown at nokia.com Richard.W.Brown at nokia.com
Thu Jan 17 17:18:55 CET 2008

Thanks for the reply,

I had already read through the documentation, man pages and tutorials
before posting. I had also spent some time with just trial and error
where I wanted to clarify some of the examples as see what happened if.
So your assumption was wrong :-)

My biggest assumption was that the documentation was correct, this seems
to be incorrect, as the tutorial rrd_beginners
http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool/tut/rrd-beginners.en.html states quiet
clearly:
"GAUGE does not save the rate of change. It saves the actual value
itself. There are no divisions or calculations."

And the man page rrdcreate
http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool/doc/rrdcreate.en.html states:
"The data is also processed with the consolidation function (CF) of the
archive. There are several consolidation functions that consolidate
primary data points via an aggregate function: AVERAGE, MIN, MAX, LAST."

And you say the above is not correct.

It seems this tool will not do what I expected it to, and from your
abrupt reply I do not expect to get a useful answer.  Also since you did
not comment on the incorrect answer to he other post with a similar
query, I will look elsewhere.

regards
Richard.