[rrd-users] values being averaged.

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Thu Jan 17 17:51:58 CET 2008

That's a correct statement, with the understanding that you must insert
the values with an exact timestamp that matches your interval. If you
insert on the interval, the exact value is saved. If off-interval, an
estimate of the value based on the delta from the interval is inserted.
This is different than a rate of change being calculated and inserted.

> It seems this tool will not do what I expected it to, and from your

Perhaps not. rrdtool is first and foremost a tool for working with
rates, not GAUGE values. It can be made to work with GAUGE values
successfully if you understand how they work within the tool.

> abrupt reply I do not expect to get a useful answer.  Also since you
did
> not comment on the incorrect answer to he other post with a similar
> query, I will look elsewhere.

I personally don't blame him. This is covered almost weekly in the
archives, at least several times a month. There's a _lot_ of information
related to this available if you look.

--
Marc