[rrd-users] beginner questions on multiple series

SecretCode secretcode343 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 4 00:19:48 CEST 2008

Hi ... I have done some basic work with rrdtool but I'm still a beginner.

I'm trying to report on traffic usage through a firewall for multiple IP
addresses. Each address will have in & out values, but I don't know in
advance how many addresses there will be - and new addresses could
theoretically be added during any collection interval.

Am I right that each IP address's traffic would be a separate series and
would have to be a separate RRD file (because each RRD has a sized fixed
up-front)? Is this going to be manageable with rrdtool?

thanks
Joe