[rrd-users] on-the-fly graph generation

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Jul 16 18:08:46 CEST 2008

At the moment, my cgi scripts (all in Bash) call rrdtool graph to
create static image files as the html is generated - these are stored
in an images directory and only generated if an existing file is out
of date (using --lazy option). I'd like to re-write at least some of
this so that the html is static, and the images themselves are
generated on-the-fly as they are accessed - in part because
management is now wanting to incorporate individual graphs in other
pages that I don't have anything to do with.

Can anyone point me to some examples, or give some hints, on good
ways to do this ? Could I, for example, have '.png' as a cgi (only
for a specific folder on the server) and have a png file which is
actually a bash script that generates the graph image and then pipes
it out on stout ?