[rrd-users] on-the-fly graph generation

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Thu Jul 17 17:18:31 CEST 2008

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 03:37:32PM +0100, Simon Hobson wrote:

> I've had a number of replies (on and off list) thanks. I've now
> twigged that all I need to do is adapt my existing scripts a bit, and
> change the set the Content-type header to suit.
>
> So all I need to do is have a script like :
>
>    build graph image file
>    send headers
>    cat image file

send headers,
call rrdtool graph with filename '-' (without quotes).

This will fail if graph generation should fail, but normally it would
save disk IO and work properly.

If '-' is seen as an empty option, try the following:
(fill in <options> and <graph elements>)

rrdtool graph <options> -- - <graph elements>

--
Alex van den Bogaerdt
http://www.vandenbogaerdt.nl/rrdtool/