[rrd-users] rrd and collectl

Mark Seger Mark.Seger at hp.com
Tue Jul 22 14:40:26 CEST 2008

I had posted a note to this list some time ago about collectl
http://collectl.sourceforge.net/ and its use as a source of data for rrd
and while I have had a few notes of mild interest I thought I'd try
again since collectl is becoming better known and is even now part of
fedora.  As with all monitoring situations, everyone has different needs
and I've always tried to address as many as possible with collectl.

For example, rrd recognizes the importance of finer granularity for more
recent data but I doubt it could handle what collectl produces -
hundreds of samples every 10 seconds or even more frequently, down to
fractions of seconds if you prefer.  Maybe for a couple of nodes, but
hundreds or thousands?  But collectl has a number of mechanisms to deal
with a lot of different situations and perhaps the answer to this
situation is to have collectl save all its data locally and only pass a
subset (perhaps at a different frequency) up to rrd.  Then someone could
use rrd to monitor a cluster and if a problem arises dive deeper into
collectl's local data?  Just a thought.  Then again someone who knows
rrd better might have a better solution.

In any event, collectl has the ability to pass results over a socket or
even write a current snapshot to a small file that another tool can pick
up at its convenience.  In fact, collectl can even write its output in
rrd format if that's what someone is looking for, but as I said I fear
there may just be too much data.

So if anyone does have any interest, check out what collectl can collect
and if there is any interest in using it to feed rrd, let's talk...

-mark