[rrd-users] rrd and collectl

Mark Seger Mark.Seger at hp.com
Wed Jul 23 15:20:27 CEST 2008

Thanks for the pointer.  This is an interesting discussion, but at least
as I'm reading it, it talks to the rrd db update problem and I'm talking
about the source of the data.  My main exposure to rrd is via ganglia
and some experiments I did with loading collectl data awhile back and it
seems to me that the main role of rrd (or maybe it's just ganglia) it to
get a sense of the overall health of the system as opposed to trying to
collect enough data to meaningfully track down a complex system
problem.  The reason I say this is in response to your statement that
ganglia collects something like 30 variables.  Maybe it's just the way
we're counting, but when I look at cpu data I see 7 different timers and
if you have a dual-socket quad core machine that's 28 variables right
there, or are you just counting them as 7?  In any event, collectl's
role in life to to collect as much as possible while staying within
<0.1% cpu load.  As a result, collectl knows about a whole lot of things
many other tools don't, in particular Infiniband, Quadrics and Lustre.
But it also includes other less common measurements as well such as
interrupts by cpu, tcp counters and even reports nfs data more
rationally than nfsstat.  I've never actually counted the number of
variables but they're in the hundreds.

The other thing is monitoring frequency - I don't know what a typical
data collection interval for ganglia/rrd is but when run as a daemon,
collectl's default monitoring interval is 10 seconds, though in some
cases I've run it at 1 second with no noticeable system load.  It also
collects process and slab statistics every 60 seconds to keep within its
performance envelope.

As I said in my original email, I would suspect trying to send this much
data to rrd from hundreds or thousands of nodes would overwhelm it even
with the accelerator discussed in that thread you pointed me to.

But that brings me back to the overall problem statement.  Given that
ganglia is looking at an overall cluster picture and not lower level
details, it probably shouldn't care about all the low-level data
collectl can collectl, BUT there is data collectl knows about that other
tools don't and so coming up with a mechanism to pick and choose the
data you want is in my opinion the only way to go.  I know of at least
one ganglia user who sources Infiniband and Lustre data from collectl
and so that's why I thought I'd bring up a collectl to rrd interface on
this list.  If you think this discussion is more appropriate on a
ganglia list just point me to it and we can move it there.

Just one last thing I'd like to point out, and this is from a system
diagnostic perspective.  It also can get somewhat contentious, but I'd
claim a centralized monitor is not the way to do system  problem
diagnosis for a couple of reasons, the first being the volume of data
involved - to say a tad more, collectl generates as much as 2-10MB/day
of compressed data.  If you uncompress it you're in the 20-50MB range.
That's a ton of data for each system to be sending upstream but I would
also claim it's vital for any diagnostic work.

The other point is when a system is in distress, one often sees
networking problems as well.  If you're dependent on a sick network to
get time-critical data to a central manager for logging, you're going to
loose that very data you so desperately need.  I admit keeping it
locally can be problematic if you're trying to track down a problem
involving a lot of systems,  but that's where the 2-tier approach can be
so powerful.  You can still use the rrd data to help point you in the
right direction and then use the node-specific data to actually dive
deeper into what was happening at the time in question.

enough rambling...
-mark