[rrd-users] building a huge rrd / any limitations?

Karl Fischer rrd-users at ficos.de
Thu Jun 12 00:03:14 CEST 2008

> Hi Karl,
>
> (Not going to comment on the usefulness of having such large RRD's. ;-))

Hi Sebastian,

what should I do if the requirement is to keep data for a long period
of time without loosing resolution?

> On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 03:14:18AM +0200, Karl Fischer wrote:
>> I'm planning to create a really huge rrd with 5-10 million rows
>> holding about 100-200 entries each, so the complete rrd will reach
>> a size of 5 .. 20 GB ...
>> Are there any problems to expect when creating and using an rrd
>> that size? Any limits to hit (like 32bit file pointers or so)?
>
> Yes, currently RRDtool is basically unaware of large files. Some 64 bits
> architectures might happen to support that anyway but I don't think
> that's guaranteed.

just to be clear: what does 'large files' mean?  2 GB?
If that's the case I can split up into multiple rrd's
with a lower number of DS per rrd and each of them will
still stay below 2GB ...

Any comments on the performance such a rrd might show?
Think about storing values for a 5+ year period with a
one minute resolution ... (3+ million rows)

Many thanks

- Karl