[rrd-users] building a huge rrd / any limitations?

Tobias Oetiker tobi at oetiker.ch
Thu Jun 12 00:33:10 CEST 2008

Hi Karl,

> If that's the case I can split up into multiple rrd's
> with a lower number of DS per rrd and each of them will
> still stay below 2GB ...
>
> Any comments on the performance such a rrd might show?
> Think about storing values for a 5+ year period with a
> one minute resolution ... (3+ million rows)

Performance will be fine ... rrd is not impacted by the size of the
file ... you should keep lower resolutio RRAs along side the hires
RRAs though, so that when doing a yearly graph or something like
this, not the whole 5 mio records have to be read ...

cheers
tobi

http://it.oetiker.ch tobi at oetiker.ch ++41 62 213 9902