[rrd-users] Perl RRDs 1.3 graphing deadly slow on Debian Etch.

Raimund Berger raimund.berger at gmail.com
Sat Jun 28 00:43:45 CEST 2008

Hi guys

as noted earlier, I recently installed rrdtool 1.3 on a Debian Etch
server, and after upgrading libcairo everything went fine from build
to rrdtool execution and performance on the command line.

I now tried some graphing with a couple of perl scripts using RRDs, in
and out of Apache, and things were deadly slow compared to command
line performance. Some perl profiling showed that the extra time is
actually spent in RRDs.

Glancing over the list, I've seen that at least one major patch has
been applied which might be hard to swallow for Etch's default Perl
install, the version being:

$ dpkg -l perl
ii  perl  5.8.8-7etch3   Larry Wall's Practical Extraction and Report

Question hence, any similar experiences, clues on this or actual
minimal Perl version requirements I maybe missed?

Thanks,
R.