[rrd-users] RRDtool Average for 1 Day

Boer, Martin martin.boer at atosorigin.com
Mon Mar 17 08:12:39 CET 2008

It doesn't.
There are 2 options for you here;
1) read the documentation on how RRD's work because your question really
implies you should.
You might want to start at this page:
http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool/doc/rrdfetch.en.html
If you don't update your rrdfile in -exactly- a day (starting at 12pm
sharp and ending there as well, don't be a second off) you won't be able
to use the -r option to get daily averages.
2) Don't read the documentation, add all 288 numbers you get and divide
by 288. It should give you the average you want.

Either way there is a solution for your problem. :)
Good luck,
Martin