[rrd-users] Generate graphs without a RRD?

Carsten Aulbert carsten at welcomes-you.com
Sat Mar 22 22:36:30 CET 2008

Andy Riebs wrote:
> Yes, you can populate a temporary rrd and use it to generate graphs,
> though I honestly have no idea how the performance would compare to
> other approaches.
OK, I might have a try.

> The magic that you need: As you store each data sample in the rrd,
> specify the explicit timestamp, rather than "N:".

Thanks!

> Presumably you've considered storing your entire database in an rrd?

I briefly thought about it and might even try it, but having ~ 14 values
for 24 entitites with 365*24*60 data points and a boss who might say
after 1.5 years that he wants 3 years of data in the graphs might be an
obstacle ;)

But I'll try both ways and hopefully won't forget to write up my findings.

Thanks

Carsten