[rrd-users] RRD Seek Errror: again?

Brian Fahrlander wheeldweller at gmail.com
Sun Nov 2 00:43:46 CET 2008

Marc Powell wrote:
>>   I've _seen_ it, but like last time, I didn't really understand it.
>> I'm on Ubuntu Dapper on the machine saving the data, and Hardy on
>> the other machine trying to pull the data over by NFS. It's been
>> working perfectly for months. It's not impossible, but is it likely
>> for something this (comparitvley) small it's bumping heads with the
>> OS?
>>

> How large are the RRD files? The gist of the post, as I understand it,
> is that you may be bumping up against OS size limits when trying to
> access the higher parts of the rrd file. The files are too big for
> your OS in other words. You may be able to offset that by using more
> files with less RRAs or an OS that allows for larger files.

    AH; well, the file's about 2g...I don't actually know the limits,
but that's a sound theory at least.   Are you good with the
allocations?  It appears I have to resize the database anyway- got any
hints on the sizing?

    Here's what I started with: (I could be happy with as little as 1
month, this was meant to be a year)

rrdtool create /etc/tripstar/data/stats.rrd --step 1 --start now-10h \
  DS:eq_ambient:GAUGE:300:-150:150  \
  DS:cab_ambient:GAUGE:300:-150:150 \
  DS:cab_humidity:GAUGE:300:0:100   \
  DS:out_ambient:GAUGE:300:-150:150 \