[rrd-users] Data Mining: Correlation Engine

fcocquyt fcocquyt at stanford.edu
Tue Nov 11 05:50:30 CET 2008

Hello,
First off, big thanks to Tobias for creating RRDTool - the basis for a lot
of great sysadmin'ing ;)

I searched the forums without an answer - has anyone looked at a data mining
engine for RRDTool data?
An example application would be computing the correlation of different
datasources in the set of all datasources (eg cacti installation).
In his talk today in he outlined the roadmap, with the RRDcached  the
distributed model seems to be on its way - lending towards the (background
compute) datamining approach...
To my way of thinking much of the untapped value of RRDtool datasets rests
in the analysis across the rrd files (eg wow, our online transactions
(sales) drop off dramatically with our backend DB latency - if we upgrade
our DB for {fixed cost} we can generate much more revenue).

Anyone else see value in such a data mining engine for RRDTool?

thanks,
Fletcher