[rrd-users] rrdtool takes a while to generate ganglia graphs

chrismattmann chris.mattmann at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Nov 25 20:35:26 CET 2008

Bernard Li wrote:

> Hi Chris:
>
>> I wanted to amend my earlier post: I'm actually using rrdtool-1.3.3, not
>> 1.1.3. Sorry for the confusion. So, yes, I am using the new version that
>> uses mmap and has better IO, yet I am still seeing this behavior. Does
>> anyone have any idea as to why?
>
> Are you really using CentOS 3 as you mentioned, or did you mean 5?
>
> Also, how large is your Ganglia installation?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Bernard

Hi Bernard,

I am actually using Cent OS 3, yep:

[chris at XXX ~]$ uname -a
Linux XXX.com 2.4.21-57.ELsmp #1 SMP Wed May 7 06:10:55 EDT 2008 i686 i686
i386 GNU/Linux
[chris at XXX ~]$

I'm not sure what you mean by how large is my Ganglia installation? If you
mean how many nodes do I have, I have 3 nodes:

1. Dell Poweredge 2650 Dual dual-core Xeon 2.8 Ghz, 2.0 GB RAM (this is the
host that gmetad lives on, along with rrdtool) running Cent OS 3 (running
gmond)
2. Dell Poweredge 2450 Dual P3 1.0 Ghz, 2.0 GB RAM (running gmond), running
Cent OS 3
3. Std PC with P4 2.8 Ghz, 1.0 GB RAM running Fedora Core 6 (running gmond)

Any ideas as to what is going on? I've installed ganglia (and rrdtool) quite
a few times in the past and have never ran into something like this?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Chris