[rrd-users] rrdtool takes a while to generate ganglia graphs

chrismattmann chris.mattmann at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Nov 26 00:39:26 CET 2008

Bernard Li wrote:

> Hi Chris:
>
> On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 11:35 AM, chrismattmann
> <chris.mattmann at jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:
>
>> Any ideas as to what is going on? I've installed ganglia (and rrdtool)
>> quite
>> a few times in the past and have never ran into something like this?
>
> Was there a specific reason why you are using RRDtool 1.3.3?  I'd
> imagine you have to build this manually on CentOS 3.  Any chance you
> can downgrade to an older version (say 1.2.x) and see if your problem
> goes away (make sure you backup your rrd files though...).
>
> With only three nodes, I doubt you are reaching any sort of
> scalability issues addressed in the new version of RRDtool 1.3.x.
> Also I wonder how well it works under 2.4 kernel...  did you have much
> trouble building RRDtool 1.3.3 (and all the dependencies) on CentOS 3?
>
> I have briefly tested Ganglia 3.1.x with RRDtool 1.3.x under CenOS 4.x
> and didn't have the issue you mentioned.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Bernard

Hi Bernard,

Thanks a bunch for your message. Downgrading to rrdtool-1.2.16 completely
fixed all of my issues. I wasn't aware that Cent OS 3 would preclude me from
using one of the later rrdtool releases, but I guess it did. In any case,
I'm really happy to have it working really fast like I remember it now.

Sincerely appreciate your help.

Cheers,
Chris