[rrd-users] RRD-Tool Gauges

Ghazi Sarhan ghazi at delmonbay.com
Thu Apr 23 01:56:35 CEST 2009

Thanks Steve...

Looks great, but...
At work we use Solarwinds which shows historical data and gauges for
last value in the same page, I'm looking for the same thing to use it
with Cacti, I need a normal .png or .gif file not .swf, any idea?

My Regards
Ghazi Sarhan

On Apr 22, 2009, at 11:45 PM, Steve Shipway wrote:

> I'm new to RRD-Tool, I've seen many examples on how to draw a chart
> with RRD-Tool,  but can it draw gauges for the last value? like the
> one on the bottom of this page http://www.linuxhowtos.org/C_C++/
> gauge.c.htm

The RRDtool library does not support gauges; you'll need to write
your own code to do this.

I have made available a CGI script that uses the swfgauge utility to
generate constantly updated gauges fomr the RRD files generated by
MRTG, this might be of use to you - you could potentially use it as a
base to generate a more generic utility?

This is the gauge demo
https://monitor.auckland.ac.nz/swfdemo.html
although apparently it has some problems executing on some browsers
due to security settings.

Steve