[rrd-users] rrdtool update error

Stephen S. Disbrow steve at disbrows.us
Thu Dec 3 23:27:43 CET 2009

Hi,
Here's all the info, please let me know if any further information is
required. Also I don't think I'm setting any rrdtool specific variables in
the environment.

12/02/2009 10:19:13 AM
The rrdcached process is run as the metis user.
all the rrdtooll commands are run as the metis user.
The rrdcached startup command line
METIS_HOME="/usr/local/metis"
BASEPATH=${METIS_HOME}/db/rrd
/usr/pkg/bin/rrdcached -l unix:/tmp/metis.rrd.sock -w 60 -p
/tmp/metis.rrd.pid  -t 5  -j ${BASEPATH}/journal
-b ${BASEPATH} -B
These files are in /tmp
-rw-r----- 1 metis metis 6 Dec  1 12:26 metis.rrd.pid
srwxrwx--- 1 metis metis 0 Dec  1 12:26 metis.rrd.sock
The $BASEPATH path is on an NFS file system.
The update command is as follows;
/usr/pkg/bin/         rrdtool update  --daemon unix:/tmp/metis.rrd.sock
${BASEPATH}/volumes.rrd N:$accesses:$reads:$writes    &
The error is;
ERROR: rrdcached: Permission denied
The rrd file in question perms are as follows;
-rw-rw---- 1 metis metis 438480 Dec  1 13:25 volumes.rrd

Thanks in advance,
Stephen Disbrow