[rrd-users] tagging a chart's data?

Bart Van Der Meerssche bart.vandermeerssche at jokamajo.org
Wed Feb 4 12:37:13 CET 2009

Hello everybody,

At Jokamajo we're currently developing a social metering application
called Flukso. Participants to the trial have a DIN-rail energy meter
installed in their electricity cabinet. A modded wireless router reports
measurements in 5 minute intervals to the site. Flukso then lets you
compare your total electricity consumption to that of other households.
With Flukso, we're trying to turn those abstract watts and kWh's into
something more tangible. You can display time-series charts covering the
most recent hour, day, month or year. You can also dynamically add or
remove other Fluksonians to the chart. You can check it out here:
www.flukso.net. Note: Due to privacy reasons, we're only showing my
consumption pattern.

You've probably noticed we're making ample use of rrdtool in the
application. Thank you for developing such a great tool in open-source
mode! We're doing likewise for Flukso.

We're now looking into ways to allow users to add annotations to the
charts. One display option involves tagging the data like they do in
google finance: http://finance.google.com/finance?client=ob&q=GOOG. We
did find a way to add a vertical line at a certain timestamp through
VRULE. But is there a way to add a label to the VRULE like they did in
this flex chart:
http://tomgutz.wordpress.com/2007/12/17/flex-custom-chart? Or does
someone know of a better solution for tagging a chart's data?

Best regards,
Bart Van Der Meerssche.