[rrd-users] Large-interval data is not displaying as I expected

Herminio Gonzalez herminio at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 06:41:18 CET 2009

>> I think this may help:
>> http://www.vandenbogaerdt.nl/rrdtool/process.php
>
> Almost forgot: this is important for you as well:
> http://www.vandenbogaerdt.nl/rrdtool/timezone.php

Thank you for referring me to your web pages, that was very useful
information. My local timezone is +09:00 (Asia/Tokyo), which must be
the reason why rrdfetch shows that my consolidated data points are
aligned at 9AM every day. I was puzzled about that. I assume that
internally rrdtool is storing the data points in UTC, at 0:00 every
day, and when I request to see the data, it translates it to my local
time. Same for rrdgraph.

The local and UTC clock are correctly set up on the machine in
question (it is running FreeBSD by the way).  I've tried setting the
TZ environment variable, but I am unable to change the times displayed
by rrdfetch or rrdgraph.

As a workaround, I am hoping that if I change my update cron job to
happen at 9:00AM local time (0:00 UTC), then things may work out.

Thanks again for the detailed explanations. I liked especially the way
you refer to "the people living in the central part of the northern
half of the continent called America" :)

-Herminio