[rrd-users] Right Axis in rrdtool 1.2.29

Jeffrey (Xiu Yan) Zhang xyzhang at salesforce.com
Wed Jan 7 23:19:33 CET 2009

Hi I noticed that there is a new feature Right Axis in rrdtool 1.2.29 .  But I m not sure what it could be used for practically.

Here is one real case I want to graph but I m afraid the current implementation for Right Axis wont help:

I want to draw SQL execution per min and db box CPU (by minute) in the same graph.  However, these two metrics are not scaled in the same level.

Sql execution/min is usually in the order of 100K while CPU is always under or at 100. I thought rrdtool should have a feature that show CPU number in Left Y Axis and Sql Executions in Right Y Axis.  And They should be displayed clearly in the same graph but just different Left and Right Axis numbers in their own scales (i.e, not the one with logarithmic option).

Does anyone get any insight how to do that ?   I play around the new feature stated earlier but I don't think it could do that.

Thanks for your help.

Jeffrey