[rrd-users] Change Interval & Keep Data

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at vandenbogaerdt.nl
Wed Jan 14 03:40:53 CET 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Benson" <rrdtool at johnbenson.net>
To: <rrd-users at lists.oetiker.ch>
Sent: Tuesday, January 13, 2009 10:57 PM
Subject: [rrd-users] Change Interval & Keep Data

> Dear All
>
> We have been using RRD files for some time in SmokePing & Cacti, but have
> decided that we want to move away from the default retention so that we
> can
> store more data over a longer period of time.

If you want to store more data, use resize. It does create a new rrdfile so
that you can verify the result before you replace the original file.

I suggest you use resize once and check that you got it right, and then do:

1: wait until an update is performed
2: rrdtool resize
3: copy the new file over the original file

all without any hesitation. This way you should not loose any updates in the
process.

>>From what I have seen, the only way to do this is to delete our files and
> start again which would mean that we would lose a whole years worth of
> information.
>
> Whilst I understand that the amount of data stored on a monthly basis is
> not
> going to be as precise as that stored on a daily basis, I would like to
> avoid losing this information.
>
> Is there any way to copy over the RRD data to a new file and to "fill in
> the
> gaps" for want of a better phrase?

There are ways, but do you still need them?