[rrd-users] RRDTool Newbie needs help

Tony Krsulic tony.krsulic at sitel.com
Mon Mar 23 17:29:15 CET 2009

Below is a windows batch file I created.
There is an app that will pass me data as often as every second.. for
items like  how many customers are currently waiting for assistance.

I believe I have the create line correct to expect data update every
second, and if I get it correctly in my mind, will get one hours worth
and then will round robin back to start of dbase and start collecting
next hour's worth? I set it for gauge/last because I don't want
averaging etc during the hour.

The graph though shows 08:00 through 09:00 and values 0.0 through 1.0
It's just a grid devoid of any actual plotted lines showing any data,
and I don't see why it's only ranging from 0.0-1.0  when the dummy data
values I'm putting in are 1 through 4.

I've been gogling and trying various things, but so far I just don't
have a grasp of this yet.. help?

rrdtool create waiting.rrd --start 1237554000 --step 1
DS:waiting:GAUGE:1:0:U RRA:LAST:0.5:36000:1
rrdtool update waiting.rrd 1237554001:4
rrdtool update waiting.rrd 1237554002:1
rrdtool update waiting.rrd 1237554003:3
rrdtool update waiting.rrd 1237554004:1
rrdtool update waiting.rrd 1237554005:3
rrdtool update waiting.rrd 1237554006:2
rrdtool update waiting.rrd 1237554007:2
rrdtool update waiting.rrd 1237554008:2
rrdtool update waiting.rrd 1237554009:1
rrdtool update waiting.rrd 1237554010:1
rrdtool update waiting.rrd 1237554011:4
rrdtool update waiting.rrd 1237554012:1
rrdtool update waiting.rrd 1237554013:3
rrdtool update waiting.rrd 1237554014:1
rrdtool update waiting.rrd 1237554015:3
rrdtool update waiting.rrd 1237554016:2
rrdtool update waiting.rrd 1237554017:2
rrdtool update waiting.rrd 1237554018:2
rrdtool update waiting.rrd 1237554019:1
rrdtool update waiting.rrd 1237554020:1
rrdtool update waiting.rrd 1237554021:4
<snip for brevity>
rrdtool update waiting.rrd 1237554647:2
rrdtool update waiting.rrd 1237554648:2
rrdtool update waiting.rrd 1237554649:1
rrdtool update waiting.rrd 1237554650:1
rrdtool update waiting.rrd 1237554651:4
rrdtool update waiting.rrd 1237554652:1
rrdtool update waiting.rrd 1237554653:3
rrdtool update waiting.rrd 1237554654:1
rrdtool update waiting.rrd 1237554655:1
rrdtool update waiting.rrd 1237554656:2
rrdtool update waiting.rrd 1237554657:2
rrdtool update waiting.rrd 1237554658:2
rrdtool update waiting.rrd 1237554659:4
rrdtool update waiting.rrd 1237554660:3
rrdtool graph waiting_b3.png -t waiting --start 1237554000 --end
1237557600 -A -Y -L 2 DEF:waiting=waiting.rrd:waiting:LAST
LINE2:waiting#ff0000
pause

Tony

**CONFIDENTIAL NOTICE**
This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may contain PRIVILEGED or CONFIDENTIAL information and may be read or used only by the intended recipient.  If you are not the intended recipient of the e-mail or any of  its attachments, please be advised that you have received this e-mail in error and that any use, dissemination, distribution, forwarding, printing, or copying of this e-mail or any attached files is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately purge it and all attachments and notify the sender by reply e-mail.