[rrd-users] RRDTool Newbie needs help

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at vandenbogaerdt.nl
Mon Mar 23 18:52:41 CET 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tony Krsulic" <tony.krsulic at sitel.com>
To: <rrd-users at lists.oetiker.ch>
Sent: Monday, March 23, 2009 5:29 PM
Subject: [rrd-users] RRDTool Newbie needs help

> I believe I have the create line correct to expect data update every
> second, and if I get it correctly in my mind, will get one hours worth
> and then will round robin back to start of dbase and start collecting
> next hour's worth? I set it for gauge/last because I don't want
> averaging etc during the hour.

> The graph though shows 08:00 through 09:00 and values 0.0 through 1.0
> It's just a grid devoid of any actual plotted lines showing any data,
> and I don't see why it's only ranging from 0.0-1.0  when the dummy data
> values I'm putting in are 1 through 4.

> rrdtool create waiting.rrd --start 1237554000 --step 1
> DS:waiting:GAUGE:1:0:U RRA:LAST:0.5:36000:1

GAUGE does _NOT_ mean "no averaging". But that's not the problem.

There's nothing to show, thus you get an empty graph, and some fail safe
creates a Y-axis 0..1 instead of being also blank, or instead of displaying
zero multiple times.

You asked RRDtool to create an RRA with one row in it, built from 36000
separate steps.  Try reversing that...