[rrd-users] Memory usage in 1.3 rrdtool restore

Carson Gaspar carson at taltos.org
Tue Mar 31 10:59:43 CEST 2009

While attempting to migrate a bunch of RRD files form our old Linux
server to our new Solaris x86 server, I discovered that 'rrdtool
restore' in 1.3.x (tested up to 1.3.6) uses _massively_ more memory than
1.2.x did.

For example, my one test file took <2GB of RAM to restore using 1.2.30,
but >14GB to restore using 1.3.6. Which means restoring is impossible
using a 32-bit 1.3.x rrdtool.

For now, I'm planning on restoring the XML files using 1.2.30. I _hope_
that will be OK, basic testing shows that 1.3.6 seems OK using RRD files
generated by 1.2.30.

Is there any hope that the memory bloat can be reduced?

--
Carson