[rrd-users] Debugging graph smoothing or bad data samples? interpolation bug?

Kevin P. Foote kpfoote at iup.edu
Wed Nov 18 15:06:57 CET 2009

OK, that's pretty slick. I didn't know cacti could do that.. :-)

------
thanks
  kevin.foote

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009, Marc MERLIN wrote:

-> On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 10:25:48PM +0100, Tobias Oetiker wrote:
-> > Hi Marc,
-> >
-> > Today Marc MERLIN wrote:
-> >
-> > > On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 06:50:40AM +0100, Tobias Oetiker wrote:
-> > > > Hi Marc,
-> > > >
-> > > > > Does that make any sense to you?
-> > > >
-> > > > not entirely, I can only say that irregular data arrival times are
-> > > > rrdtools forte ... have you tried to write the data into a logfile
-> > > > (including the timestamp) and then recreate the phaenomenon by hand ?
-> > >
-> > > I have all the data in a logfile already, this is where I read it from :)
-> > > (script writes to logfile, cacti polls logfile from cron and feeds to
-> > > rrdtool).
-> > >
-> > > I have another script that will dump the entire logfile, generate a log list
-> > > of rrdtool update statements and I can recreate the entire rrd from scratch
-> > > after erasing it and replaying all the events.
-> >
-> > ah ... in that case it is clear ... sometimes, you have one update
-> > in the file and sometimes two by the time cacti comes around ...a
-> > very bad case of jitter ... you should realy make it so that cacti
-> > can trigger the data accqusition ...
->
-> Mmmh, I see what you mean. Yes, now that I think about it, in a bad case
-> scenario, the cacti poller could hit a race condition and get the next sample
-> one period early, and see the same sample again.
->
-> That must be what happened, thanks for pointing it out to me.
->