[rrd-users] database won't update

perhansen perhansen79 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 22:51:55 CET 2009

I have a perl-script that reads temperatures from digitemp. If i run the
script randomly the database seems to be updated and a graph would be drawn.
But if a cronjob execute the script every 5min the database won't update and
no graph eighter. Can someone explain me why.

This is my databse:
        	        RRDs::create "$rrd/temp$_[0].rrd"
                        "-s 60",
			"DS:temp:GAUGE:240:U:U",
			"RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:2016",
			"RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:6:1344",
			"RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:24:2190",
			"RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:144:3650";

This is how i update:
                RRDs::update "$rrd/temp$_[0].rrd",
		"-t", "temp",
		"N:$temp";

Is there something about the time difference, before and after the 5
minutes, i have missed or don't understand?

I have dump the database to xml, and every value inserted by cronjob is
"NaN"

The easy question : How do i get a updated timestamp on the graph?