[rrd-users] Handling VDEFs outside rrdtools

Benny Baumann BenBE at geshi.org
Mon Oct 26 15:35:18 CET 2009

Hi,

Am 26.10.2009 10:24, schrieb Fredrik Hansen:

> Hi,
>
> Im using rrdtools to extrapolate and calculate trends for disk full
> prediction and the calc works as expected.
>
> I get nice graphs showing which date a certain disk is predicted to be
> at a certain usage level.
>
> Since the amount of rrd’s is quite a lot ( around 2100 ),
>
> I need a smoother way to only get results/reports for the drives which
> have a full disk forecast in the near future. But that implies to have
> the calculated data scriptable, and I’m wondering if there is a way to
> run the calculations (LSL-based) and use the results external to rrdtool?
>
> One way could be to store the calculations in another rrd-file and
> then dump the contents from that to a handy script ?
>
> Another way possible is maybe to directly extract the values from the
> calculation and output to a script which could create an email alert
> or something like that.
>
> I’m out of ideas on how to proceed, ie to get data in a VDEF sent
> outside rrdtools world.
>
> Tips, ideas or rtfm hints are highly appreciated. J
>
> Brgrds,
>
> Fredrik Hansen

There are two more or less easily scriptable ways to do this: The first
would be using the PRINT instruction of the graph command of rrdtool to
print out the information you need. Another way might be the rrd_fetch
command or using the API of rrdtool.

Tee other way to go would be doing the calculations based on the
rrd_fetch command yourself, but why bother to do them if the first way
usually already should provide them?

Regards,
BenBE.