[rrd-users] Can I fill a hole in an rrd?

Marc MERLIN marc_rrd at merlins.org
Wed Oct 28 16:41:28 CET 2009

On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 09:48:08PM -0500, William Owen wrote:
> I see two realistic options here. The best thing I can think of would be
> to dump to XML, manually insert the values you want to update into the XML
> and then import the XML into a new RRD. That, however would be tedious
> for a large dataset and you may run into issues normalizing your own data
> in the different CFs and RRAs. The other option would be to stream ALL
> values out of the one missing values, insert your data into the stream and
> then rrdupdate a new one sequentially with those values. You'd need to be
> careful here as fetch will pick the most "appropriate" RRA and feed data
> from that based on your fetch times.

This is what I've been doing more or less: just recreate the rrd and feed
everything back into it, but it's just slow and tedious.

Hopefully a new version of rrdtool will allow for replacing samples at given
time offsets without having to change/touch everything else (yes, that means
that dependencies might have to be recalculated, but I'm hoping it can't be
that hard).

Marc
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/