[rrd-users] [rrd] Can't I turn off data smoothing for GAUGE?

Tobias Oetiker tobi at oetiker.ch
Tue Aug 17 10:58:03 CEST 2010

Hi Marc,
Yesterday Marc MERLIN wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I had a problem, which is explained in more details here:
> http://forums.cacti.net/viewtopic.php?p=197724#197724
>
> Basically, I use a GAUGE as a bitfield because I don't have anymore room
> to add DS entries in my RRD since it's already 2GB.
>
> I've been told that rrdtool does not allow turning off data smoothing,
> even for GAUGE.  Is that true?

yes also data is always stored as doubles ...

> If so, can this be considered as a feature, there are definitely
> causes, even if you don't abuse a GAUGE DS as a bitfield, where
> smoothing data would just yield total rubish data that shouldn't
> be there by creating intermediate values that may not be valid
> data at all.

many tried to make a case for that (check the mailinglist archives)
but after (often extended) discussion it always tuned out that they
had missconceptions about the nature of timeseries data or that it
was not timeseries data they were trying to store in rrdtool.

cheers
tobi