[rrd-users] [rrd] Can't I turn off data smoothing for GAUGE?

Marc MERLIN marc_rrd at merlins.org
Tue Aug 17 16:18:18 CEST 2010

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 10:58:03AM +0200, Tobias Oetiker wrote:
> > If so, can this be considered as a feature, there are definitely
> > causes, even if you don't abuse a GAUGE DS as a bitfield, where
> > smoothing data would just yield total rubish data that shouldn't
> > be there by creating intermediate values that may not be valid
> > data at all.
>
> many tried to make a case for that (check the mailinglist archives)
> but after (often extended) discussion it always tuned out that they
> had missconceptions about the nature of timeseries data or that it
> was not timeseries data they were trying to store in rrdtool.

Understood. It's unfortunate since all my data fields are timeseries
data (temperatures), I only have a single field out of 30+ that is
boolean on/off data.
Because it's all graphed together and I use CDEF to mix in the boolean
data, see:
http://graphs.merlins.org/graphs/g.php?action=properties&local_graph_id=43&rra_id=0&view_type=tree&graph_start=1281733843&graph_end=1281766214
(the blue bars are generated from my bitfield), it's just not really
possible for me to store the data elsewhere.

Sorry to hear that this is an rrdtool limitation that is considered a
WONTFIX apparently, since I don't think I'm severely misusing rrdtool
with my data and graphs :) and I'm not quite sure how else I can do what
I'm doing :-/

Thanks for the answer,
Marc
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/